Monday, January 7, 2013

Fried fish with super secret breading

Shhhhh.... no one will know how healthy it is!

I think the hardest part of cooking is the meal planning and shopping. I have a difficult time planning several meals ahead and then end up having to go to the grocery almost every day... a waste of time and energy, not to mention gas!

I have to admit that I was planning on cooking chicken in the crock pot tonight. I actually DID plan ahead and even had everything I needed in the fridge! But work and life got in the way and I didn't get the chicken in the crock pot 8 hours prior to dinner and once that window of opportunity is gone.. it's gone! So plan "B" is fish because it cooks quickly (yes, I had to go back to the store for it), steamed broccoli, and a loaf of crusty multi grain bread.

So with a fresh attitude I turn my attention to fried fish because it is quick and easy to prepare, the kids like it and it makes me happy when I think of the healthy items I am sneaking into the breading... and my family is none the wiser ;)

The Shopping List:
4 Tilapia Fillets (or other mild white fish)
1/2 cup Panko whole wheat bread crumbs
1/4 cup Oatmeal
1 Tablespoon Pecan Meal
1 Tablespoon Flax seeds
2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1/8 teaspoon Pepper
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 Egg or eggbeaters
1 Broccoli head

The Super Secret Breading

Here are the super healthy secret ingredients for the breading:
1/2 cup Panko whole wheat bread crumbs
1/4 cup oatmeal
1 Tablespoon Pecan Meal
1 Tablespoon flax seeds
3 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt


I use my coffee grinder to finely grind the oatmeal and flax seeds, 
and sometimes even the Panko if your not in the mood for it to be so chunky.


Carefully avoiding the blade, clean out any old coffee grinds with a damp paper towel.
Grind one ingredient at a time... it only takes a few seconds each.
Mix all the breading ingredients together on a plate.


Meanwhile, pour olive oil in pan and heat on medium.
I coat the bottom of the pan with oil, but in a non-stick you can go with a little less if desired.
I need 2 pans to fit all four pieces.

Dip and thoroughly coat the fish fillets in the egg.... 
Beat 1 egg well in a shallow bowl.


then in the breading on both sides....


and into the pan they go!


Cook on medium-high heat for 7-10 minutes on each side
or until the breading becomes a golden brown crust.


Greek Style Broccoli
This is how my husbands Greek Grandmother, Yia-Yia,
traditionally dresses the broccoli
with fresh lemon juice and olive oil.

Delicious, healthy and oh so easy!


rinse and cut up the broccoli into manageable pieces.


I use my steamer to cook the broccoli, better than loosing all the nutrients in boiling water.
Steam for 15 minutes.


put broccoli in a bowl and toss with juice from 1/2 of the lemon,
and drizzle olive oil throughout



I served with a loaf of crusty multi grain bread, butter and my favorite butter substitute.
(check out my awesome Turtle butter knife... a gift from a friend!)


I put a wedge of lemon on each plate to be squeezed onto the fish if desired.


Having to change the dinner menu plans at the last minute, 
I started out the night a little flustered, but dinner turned out great and everyone enjoyed it!






3 comments:

  1. Love the breading recipe. I did not know there is whole wheat panko bread crumbs out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome. There is a recipe in the Joy Bauer cookbook (the dietician from the Today Show) that is very similar. I think I used it on chicken cutlets. I know it had ground flax, parmesan, and whole wheat flour but I can't remember what else. Yum.

    ReplyDelete