Thursday, January 10, 2013

Quick prep chicken in the crock pot

Seriously... Chicken in the crock pot is so quick and easy! 

I either stuff with garlic (like I did tonight), cut lemons, or cook with a good BBQ sauce.... 6 hours later dinner is ready! When I cook in the crock pot it almost feels like someone else made dinner for me... I love that feeling!

The trick is remembering, and finding the time, to start it 6 hours prior to dinner time. I write myself a huge note in sharpie marker and tape it to the microwave... Post 40 years old I seem to have resorted to doing this all around the house for just about everything... is that a problem? ;) 



I splurged and got an organic chicken... 
I buy organic as much as I can with the priority being on chicken and beef.


I use at least an entire clove of garlic. 
Remove skin by pressing (and slightly crushing) on the clove with the flat part of the knife 
and the skin easily peels right off. No need to cut into smaller pieces.


Put all of the garlic inside the chicken. 
When it is done cooking it becomes soft and mild.
I serve a few pieces on each plate with the chicken... "it taste just like butta"!


Rub down the chicken with olive oil, sprinkle Kosher salt and pepper on both sides
and place in the crock pot breast side down.
Cook on low for 6 hours.
THAT'S IT!


Because the chicken was all taken care of,  in the evening I felt like I had time to make 
zucchini slices in a fry pan (actually needed 2 fry pans)


I looked at the spice rack and decided that I would try 
Parmesan Pesto and Black pepper to season.
It turned out to be delicious!
I try different things for this... sometimes just salt and pepper or Mrs. Dash has a nice flavor.


I heated up olive oil and carefully placed the zucchini slices and sprinkled with the seasoning,
then turned over with a fork to cook on medium. 


When that side is done, turn again and cook until golden brown.


What to do for another side dish.... I know Quinoa the Superfood to the rescue!



Quinoa cooks in 15 minutes. Follow the package directions.
I added butter substitute, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.


Chicken done!


Zucchini done!


Quinoa done!


Yummy!




1 comment:

  1. Popped on over from Caroline's blog and wanted to say HI so HI and now I will say that chicken dish sounds nice..........slow cookers are awesome

    ReplyDelete